Planning to get away with someone special this summer? Look no further than the northern Michigan beach towns of Petoskey, Harbor Springs. Bay Harbor and Boyne City. There’s a bit of romance to be found around every corner. Here are ten options to get you started on an unforgettable getaway.
- Daisy, Daisy give me your answer do . . . (Do you remember that song?) Yes, bicycles built for two are available for rent at several area bike shops including some just a spokes turn from the Little Traverse Wheelway.
- Outfitters also have tandem kayaks for couples who want to paddle instead of peddle. If love has you a little off balance, go for a more stable canoe or raft ride.
- Try a leisurely drive down (or up) the Tunnel of Trees in Harbor Springs – it’s very romantic – especially if you stop at Legs Inn and walk through the garden area overlooking sparkling Lake Michigan.
- Remember in “Happy Days” when the kids went to Sunset Point? We have Sunset Park in Petoskey for a dazzling view of our Million Dollar Sunsets (or a chance to watch the submarine races if there’s no sunset).
- Visit beautiful Young State Park in Boyne City or Petoskey State Park – hold hands and walk the beach.
- High on each other? Take it to the next level with a one hour flight over Walloon Lake with Walloon Balloon Adventures. Not quite ready to go that far? A twin zip ride or scenic chairlift ride at Boyne Mountain in Boyne Falls or Boyne Highlands in Harbor Springs will lift you up where you belong.
- How about a sunset cruise on the Pointer Boat in Harbor Springs?
- The stars won’t just be in your eyes when you star gaze together at the Headlands International Dark Sky Park in Mackinaw City – nature’s art gallery!
- Stop by one of the amazing delis in the area (Symons General Store in Petoskey, Galley Gourmet in Bay Harbor, Lake Street Market in Boyne City, Pond Hill Farm in Harbor Springs) – have them pack an assortment of cheeses, finger foods and wines and head to your favorite together spot.
- Rub each other the right way with a couple’s massage at Solace Spa (Boyne Mountain) or at Spa at the Inn at Bay Harbor.
At the end of the day (after watching a Million Dollar Sunset), make sure there is a cozy room waiting with your name on it. Condo, hotel, inn – fireplace or hot tub; we’ve got just the right northern Michigan lodging to end your perfect couple’s day.
About the author
Diane Dakins is passionate about all of the communities that comprise the Petoskey Area of northern Michigan: Petoskey, Harbor Springs, Bay Harbor and Boyne City. As assistant director of the Petoskey Area Visitors Bureau, she has “been there – seen that” when it comes to virtually every area attraction. She strives to create informative content that gives potential visitors the scoop on planning a northern Michigan vacation.