With three ski resorts – Boyne Mountain, Boyne Highlands and Nub’s Nob, skiing is a big deal in the Petoskey Area. But what if you, your partner, or both of you don’t know how to ski? Well then, take a couple’s lesson and learn together. Sharing experiences like that is really pretty romantic! If hitting the slopes is more activity than you want, pick a viewing area and watch others ski – it’s a beautiful sport.
There’s also a lot to do when you aren’t on the slopes. Following are a few to keep in mind.
- The Aonoch Mor dinner at Boyne Highlands is a one-of-a-kind experience. The evening begins at 6:30pm with a sleigh ride from the Main Lodge lobby to the North Peak. Upon arrival, guests disembark to an inviting bonfire before taking their seats at nearby tables – each adorned in white linen and illuminated by candlelight. On clear nights, the lights of the Mackinac Bridge add to the stunning ambience. A live acoustic guitarist strums favorite tunes, rounding out the perfect atmosphere for fine, comfortable and uniquely memorable dining.
- Curl up under a blanket and take a horse-drawn sleigh ride through historic Bay View. Enjoy a delicious dinner at either of the Bay View lodgings – Stafford’s Bay View Inn or The Terrace Inn and 1911 Restaurant. Follow dinner with the sleigh ride and then head back for a hot chocolate or other favorite beverage. Retire for the night in cozy room surrounded by peace and quiet.
- Take a spin securely tucked in your sweetheart’s arm at an outdoor ice rink at Avalanche Preserve in Boyne City, the Walloon Lake Village Ice Rink, the Sk8 Park in Harbor Springs or the Winter Sports Park in Petoskey. Be your own Norman Rockwell scene!
- Charcuterie – hard to say, but easy to enjoy! Order one of these fancy meat and cheese boards (Petoskey Cheese, Symons General Store, Café Sante, Toski Sands) and enjoy it in front of a crackling fire at your favorite Petoskey Area hotel, condo or inn. (Cell phones or iPads can spoil the whole thing, so leave ‘em off.).
- When’s the last time you and your partner really relaxed together? We suggest a couple’s massage at The Spa at the Inn at Bay Harbor, The Spa at Boyne Mountain or The Spa at Boyne Highlands.
- How about an evening out that includes music? Take in a show at Red Sky Stage, Crooked Tree Arts Center or Freshwater Gallery. Start the evening at one of our amazing culinary destinations – Stafford’s Pier and Mustang Wendy’s in Harbor Springs; Seventeen or Vintage Chop House | Wine Bar in Bay Harbor; Café Sante or Northern Table in Boyne City; Palette Bistro or Twisted Olive in Petoskey.
- Cross-country ski with your favorite someone at one of our local wineries. Spend some together time schussing through the snow and then warm up with a bottle of your favorite wine in a beautiful setting (Harbor Springs Vineyard & Winery in Harbor Springs, Crooked Vine Vineyards and Winery in Alanson, and Petoskey Farms Winery, who offers delightful little wines appropriately named LOVE Sangria and Romance.)
- Wine, chocolates, AND a limo ride? That will sweep them off their feet – and that’s okay because there will be a rose covered bed to stop their fall when you book at the Holiday Inn Express & Suites in Petoskey! For other couple’s getaways, check the lodging packages page on our website.
- If you’ve been to Petoskey before and hunted for our famous stones, mail the stone to one of our local jewelry makers and have something unique made. Surprise your sweetie by picking it up while on your winter getaway.
The Petoskey Area was made for romance. Make it your destination this winter. For even more info, order a copy of our Winter Guide. It’s free.
About the author
Diane Dakins is passionate about all of the communities that comprise the Petoskey Area of Michigan: Petoskey, Harbor Springs, Bay Harbor and Boyne City. As assistant director of the Petoskey Area Visitors Bureau, she has “been there – seen that” when it comes to virtually every area attraction. She strives to create informative content that gives potential visitors the scoop on planning a northern Michigan vacation.